template design

10.26.2008

Sunday Pleasures


October 12
10:15 am a)It's the usual Sunday morning decide-what-Kiana's-going-to-wear routine. "Ewe! That's UGLY!", "No! No! No! (with shocked face; it's especially drama when she backs away from it like it's the plague)", "Aaaawwwwe, I don't like plaid (she does)", "White shirts are for BOYS!" I love white shirts and have her come count them hanging in my closet - at least she's thinking. And the ever favorite,"You guys never buy me clothes I LIKE! Not true, =when we're at the store she promises she'll wear it.
b) Compromise. She wants to wear a new coat that is too big for her. I tell her she can wear it if she wears a white shirt under the red dress. We overhear her in her room,"Hmph, I'm NOT taking off my coat at church!"

11:20 am We're sitting as quietly as possible during the Sacrament being passed. I hear Kiana,"Hey Ethan, betcha can't do this...". By the time I turned she had poured the Sacrament water in her mouth, leaned her head back 90 degrees and was gurgling the water! Talent - yes. Reverent - no.

noon "Kiana, can you please pick up the crayons. The meeting's almost over." About a dozen more kind variations of the above were met with the same slow look-at-mom-with-blank-eyes-for-5-seconds-and-return-to-coloring-like-I-didn't-hear mode. "Kiana, no crayons for you next week! I mean it. Clean up." Kiana: repeat action. I'm just sitting there thinking to myself, I swear Kiana wonders,"Who does my mom think she is?" I nudge Stuart telling him of her current status. He rolls his eyes, which I think is meant for my grasp at a consequence, but lucky for him I find out later he's just as much at his wits end watching this scenerio. He's just more patient than yours truly. She gets to deal with dad after the meeting. THe princess doesn't look happy.

12:15 am (She did hang her coat up upon entering church). Kiana refused to stay for Primary as they practiced their program in the Chapel. I had to teach Gospel Doctrine. I told her she'd be bored but she stood stiff any time we tried to steer her back. She sat in the front row with Stu, then later with me in Relief Society. We think she didn't want anyone to see her in her white shirt.

2:25 pm Finally. Home. Trying to relax upstairs while the kids are snacking. Knock at the door. It's Ethan, "Mom, Kiana's drawing on Maiya." Big sigh. Stuart makes no movement and feigns sleep. Down the stairs I go - stopping midway - to meet the latest masterpiece. Big sigh. Maiya doesn't seem to mind her face and arms tats. Kiana's smug smile evidence of pleasure with her artwork. Ah, who can't help but laugh at this? The mustache is the best.

October 19
10:20 am Kiana overlooks the two dresses I've picked out. Goes to the closet to retrieve the all-black velvet. That works for me. The only argument is that she has to wear tights with it so she can wear the black Mary Janes I just got her. I'm just happy it matches.

11:25 am Kiana doesn't even ask for crayons. Whew! After the sacrament has been passed she pokes me on my left side as her arms are folded. I look down at her being so reverent, her eyes wide with something obviously pretty observant to share,"Mom! Good thing we didn't miss the Sacrament!" Love her.

Ethan: Each Sunday he anxiously asks to take Maiya to class with him for a few minutes. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. He gets pretty sad when I say no but let him take her to nursery. He's such a good big brother.

Maiya: She'll go to nursery and suffer through the criers. She loves the stroller and baby dolls. If they bring her out for a diaper change and I try heading back to the nursery with her, she stops and points to my classroom,"Mom, 'mon, 'mon" (Mom, come on, come on). She wins every time.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! You are such a good mom, Tawna! I just love reading your blog. Your kids crack me up and I absolutely LOVE the way you deal with conflict and recognize the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete