Faith: I'm selfish. When Bishop Weaver asked me to team-teach Gospel Doctrine I thought he was insane. However, I'll admit I feel selfish because I get to learn so much about the Book of Mormon in preparing my lessons. I love it! Last Sunday was the final Book of Mormon lesson and I thought to branch out on one suggested subject relating to Moroni 7:13-15: Things perceived as good, but are bad vs. Things perceived as bad, but are good (and knowing the difference). I thought it would be a 15-minute discussion tops; I never got past the first paragraph of my lesson! I covered the board with topics they suggested and the discussion was amazing! I had to apologize when the 2nd bell rang and a handful of comments weren't made. I'm grateful for being able to teach about faith, hope and charity, and the doctrines of Christ.
Friends: I was so excited that a childhood friend, Allison (Creagh) Baldwin, was in town visiting her in-laws for the holidays with her adorable family of twins Rachel and Ryan, and miracle-baby Caroline. Her hubby Austin is a rookie Psychology professor at Southern Methodist University in Texas; her kids pledge allegiance to Texas in school daily! She had time to meet for lunch and met me at work downtown. As usual, she was very stylish in her red pea coat and sported a hip short haircut. It was as if the years melted away as we started talking, only the stories we shared would make one realize how much time had passed since we last saw each other in Seattle in 2004. We talked about our young families and old friends, funny things our kids do and say, good & unfortunate stories of ourselves and others, places we've lived, etc. During lunch which included the famous Lion House homemade rolls and a shared piece of triple decker chocolate cake, we confessed how grateful we were for our testimonies, blessings, and overall health and happiness in reflection of our shared stories. Instead of high school chats of college dreams - both BYU alums! - and contemplating thoughts of opening a Mormon Nunnery because we never had boyfriends, here we are, 15 years after my South Kitsap High School graduation and she one year later. What a fun ride we've had!
Family: There's that saying,"We may not have it all together, but together we have it all." So true. My kids fight; that's normal. Stuart and I get after them; that's normal. We all make a mess; that's normal. I think things should be perfect; that's my problem. We hug-n-kiss and make up; that's what matters. There's really no place like home!
No comments:
Post a Comment