template design

9.28.2009

You Promised

I'm a liar.

Annual Primary Program at church. Kiana was not happy with her clothing options. Everything was ugly. "AWWWWWEE! I can't decide WHAT to wear!" Stomp. Look of disbelief. Fling self on bed. Pulled down a new sweater and really played it up. She bought it. An hour never seemed so long. Driving there...

Kiana: Hmph. I don't want ANYONE looking at me!
Stuart: OK, we won't look at you.
Kiana: Promise?
Stuart: Promise.
Kiana: Pinky promise?

Stuart leaned his right finger back for the hook. I followed suit. Only I couldn't keep my eyes off the cutest girl up there and Ethan beaming two pews behind. She bent over so we couldn't see her. When they stood to sing she leaned her elbows on the pew in front, chin in hands, and frowned. Muttered a few songs. At least she smiled when she came to the mic and said her memorized part:

Jesus Christ made it possible for me to live with my Heavenly Father again. I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh unto the Father but by me.

Afterwards, she huffed down the stairs and I knew I was busted.
Kiana: Mom! You promised!
Me: I know. I'm so sorry. I just couldn't keep my eyes off you. Forgive me?
There's that smile. Hugs.

Stuart plays the good guy: Kiana! You were up there? I didn't even see you!

There's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment