No cooking! Free dinner! Yippee!
Rubio's was celebrating Tax Day by giving away free taco's. Thank you! After a yummy dinner holding a sleeping Maiya - who insisted on wearing a brown summer dress that is now a shirt - we ventured over to check out bedding for Kiana at the new Ross.
This is where the fun started:
- I stopped to look at skirts and held one up,"Hey Ethan, how does this one look?" Dead on,"Uh. Definitely. NO." I was shocked,"Why?" His hands came up for expression,"Well, because you always wear just plain stuff and that one's all decorationy." He had a point. I'd never wear it.
- Cute aprons. They had a monkey one. Ethan put it on and we went to find Maiya. She smiled. What 9-year old traipses through a store wearing that?
- Home decor aisle. Ethan asked,"What is this for?" I explained how you put a candle in the holder and it shines through the frame to reflect off the shards of cut glass,"to look pretty." The funniest expression,"Well THAT's useless."
Spoken like a true engineer.
Kids are so honest. I was rolling on the inside.
Thinking I should definitely bring the kids shopping more often for humor's sake.
Then the icing on the cake.
On the drive home he was sitting up front with Stu. "What would you do if you became President of the United States?" I said get rid of all of one-political-party-that-shall-not-be-named. Joking. But not really. Stuart said get rid of all the video games. Partly joking. Ethan got really serious,"No! What LAWS would you change?"
While a silly night excursion I'm amazed at these little brains, and always learning from them. The other day I was thinking how little kids know exactly what they like, and exactly what they don't like. When they know they want a RED popsicle, don't even try a BLUE one on them. They'll announce loud and proud they went pee-pee on the toilet. Maiya can fart like a redneck and smile like a model at the same time - the other night I thought she'd get blown away! When Kiana does not want to practice the piano, bribes are out the window. When there's a problem, kids are pretty quick to find a solution...and sometimes we adults are the ones that find excuses as to why that solution won't work. Kids are pretty smart. Simple solutions.
And, thanks to talk radio, when Ethan hears political discussion and asks that pointed question -- whether we have an answer isn't necessarily as important as the fact that his brain is working.
And he gets it.
Rubio's was celebrating Tax Day by giving away free taco's. Thank you! After a yummy dinner holding a sleeping Maiya - who insisted on wearing a brown summer dress that is now a shirt - we ventured over to check out bedding for Kiana at the new Ross.
This is where the fun started:
- I stopped to look at skirts and held one up,"Hey Ethan, how does this one look?" Dead on,"Uh. Definitely. NO." I was shocked,"Why?" His hands came up for expression,"Well, because you always wear just plain stuff and that one's all decorationy." He had a point. I'd never wear it.
- Cute aprons. They had a monkey one. Ethan put it on and we went to find Maiya. She smiled. What 9-year old traipses through a store wearing that?
- Home decor aisle. Ethan asked,"What is this for?" I explained how you put a candle in the holder and it shines through the frame to reflect off the shards of cut glass,"to look pretty." The funniest expression,"Well THAT's useless."
Spoken like a true engineer.
Kids are so honest. I was rolling on the inside.
Thinking I should definitely bring the kids shopping more often for humor's sake.
Then the icing on the cake.
On the drive home he was sitting up front with Stu. "What would you do if you became President of the United States?" I said get rid of all of one-political-party-that-shall-not-be-named. Joking. But not really. Stuart said get rid of all the video games. Partly joking. Ethan got really serious,"No! What LAWS would you change?"
While a silly night excursion I'm amazed at these little brains, and always learning from them. The other day I was thinking how little kids know exactly what they like, and exactly what they don't like. When they know they want a RED popsicle, don't even try a BLUE one on them. They'll announce loud and proud they went pee-pee on the toilet. Maiya can fart like a redneck and smile like a model at the same time - the other night I thought she'd get blown away! When Kiana does not want to practice the piano, bribes are out the window. When there's a problem, kids are pretty quick to find a solution...and sometimes we adults are the ones that find excuses as to why that solution won't work. Kids are pretty smart. Simple solutions.
And, thanks to talk radio, when Ethan hears political discussion and asks that pointed question -- whether we have an answer isn't necessarily as important as the fact that his brain is working.
And he gets it.
love all of these stories!!!!
ReplyDelete