template design

1.11.2013

S-m-a-r-t-y- P-a-n-t-s

Whenever I'd drop the kids off at Falcon Ridge Elementary, I'd holler, "Learn somethin'" before driving off, borrowed from The Blind Side, the movie. I still do it as they walk out the door...
B-A-C-O-N. Breakfast of Champtions.
It's been a buzz at the house in preparation for today - Spelling Bee Day! As Kiana was getting her coat and boots on for school this morning I overheard her talking to Maiya, "I've got my eyyyyes on the priiiize!" Now that's the way to keep motivated!
She and 45 fellow Speller Bee-ers seemed to all have their 'eyes on the prize' as well. When there's a $50 Target gift card on the table, who couldn't want the honor? She was #10, and had her normal I-don't-want-people-to-look-at-me face on in the front row, ducking her head when I tried to get a picture. She'd worked really hard and we'd told her all along to just do her best - it didn't matter if she won, as long as she did her best, that's what mattered most. Her words:
Round 1: floor
Round 2: control
Round 3: presume
Round 4: renewal
Round 5: demonstrable
Round 6: statictician (statistician)
She'd spelled that word 3 times during practice, the latter two times correctly. The 6th round was a killer as over half the kids remaining walked off the stage that round leaving only ~8 remaining. The winner this year was the same girl who'd won last year. For all the contestants to have spent their Christmas Break studying spelling words - hard ones! - really spoke volumes. As much as Kiana had wanted to come out as the winner of that $50 gift card, she had previously been scared if she'd won she'd have to study for another spelling bee...I didn't tell her that was likely. Way to go!
Maiya got to watch part of the Spelling Bee after Kindergarten was released. She also had some great news: They took a timed math test today and she was the first one to finish! "I was da fiwst one done!" Way to go!
Getting ready for the Spelling Bee to start

Beginning of Round 6
You Go Girl!
Mr. Ethan-7th Grader. I found a certificate he'd left on his placemat after he'd left for school one morning. Honor Roll...the only reason this kid is getting an A- in his Science class isn't because of missed work or a bad test...it's because he TALKS too much! Apparently there's a girl in this class Kiana likes to tease him about. Way to go! (On the grade, not the girl.)