Maiya has been asking to have bangs cut lately. Tonight was another 'lately'. "Mom, when awe you gonna cut my bangs?" I asked if that's what she really wanted. She kept naming all these friends who had bangs. So of course she wanted bangs.
With both of her teeth missing, each time she smiles these days it just makes me want to laugh!
My first attempt was to put her off until Saturday. I felt bad, so I upped it to Friday. To make my sorry bum feel better. "After the Fun Run so your sweat won't get on your bangs." Lame-o. I had the Lazy Mom Guilt Trip - my inside voice was yelling at me to 'get off that Lazy Bum and do what will make her happy. Make HER feel special. Don't put HER off. Don't just sit there when you can be doing something constructive and positive! If you were Maiya, what would you want your mom to do?' Then my inside voice said 'what type of mom do YOU want to be?'
Now was my chance to make a Remember When story...woohoo! I told her to go get the water bottle upstairs they use for hair. She looked at me. I smiled. She smiled. She ran and came back with the water bottle and climbed up on the stool.
Snip. Snip. Snip. Behold...bangs.
I think she could have lit up the whole city of New York with her ginormous-watt smile. She had to climb up on the toilet in the bathroom to get a glimpse in the mirror. "I just feel diffewent 'cuz I don't recognize myself!" Bangs can do that to people.
She glided out, flinging her hair as she walked. She showed Stuart. She showed Ethan,"Hey Ethan, did you see my bangs?" I love it when big brothers smile and nod their heads and make even a small positive comment; it makes those little sisters feel beautiful, valued and loved. (Even if said little sister was wrestling him 2 hours earlier.)
I got a big tip: the biggest, tightest squeeze tonight from a girl who looks just like Maiya except she has bangs.
**
Maiya: Hey, do you guys know whewe the pink alawm clock went?
Me: Daddy took it.
Maiya: Dad, do you know whewe the pink alawm clock went? It's Kiana's.
Stuart: We used it downstairs because there were kids in our bed last night.
Me: Daddy will bring it upstairs.
Maiya: (walking off, chuckling) You guys awe dowks!
**
Stuart: Do you wanna sleep downstairs again?
Me: Why?
Stuart: 'Cuz we don't have a bed again tonight.
3 kids. 1 king-sized bed.
Love all those kiddos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete