If there's one thing that the girls and I have bonded over, it's Ethan singing in the shower. Many times we have quietly pointed and gathered each other to join outside the bathroom door to listen to Ethan and laughed as quiet as we could while holding our sides. Since he's moved from upstairs into the basement, those moments have been fewer. We can still hear him singing at times from the basement, but I guess our feet are too lazy to always trek downstairs. It's just what Ethan does. But tonight...
...I tiptoed downstairs to catch that Closet Shower Singer voicing some tunes. He'd started the water and I put my ear against the crack in the door jam (a little voice told me my left ear, just in case he opened the door to avoid an embarrassing situation) and was amazed at his selection of song. He was singing, "In the arms of the angel, fly away from here..." He repeated that a couple times. It tugged at my heart; that was the song sung at Jesse's funeral. My quiet moment of tender memories didn't last long. The door opened - I didn't turn my head because I was choking quiet laughter - he shrieked like a girl, and closed that door. The laughter was out! We were both laughing so hard, which made me laugh even harder and double over in hearing his giggles. I heard the shower curtain open then shut. I knew he was smiling. "LEAVE! So I can sing in peace!"
Request granted. His voice was still going as I made my steps into the kitchen upstairs. I love that kid!
The ironic thing: When I came upstairs, smiling at the thought that this is my kid, I peeked at the time. I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't skip a beat. The clock read 11:12 PM.
Jesse's birthdate.
My kids used to call Jesse on the phone and sing to him.
He'd have loved this story.

No comments:
Post a Comment