template design

6.07.2008

The Birthday Boy #8

Ethan was "camping out" on the couch tonight like he does every Friday night after a family movie. (Tonight we watched Batman Returns. Those cool cars and all those gadgets...I know he was taking notes. Little does he know - and merely coincidence - that I got him Batman Legos at Christmastime and they are hiding in our garage this very minute to be wrapped up for tomorrow.) He does that so at the first sign of sunlight he can hit the power button on the remote and catch his beloved Saturday morning cartoons. Sometimes he'll wake up between 6 and 7, and ask,"Mom, what time is it?" I'll respond with the time. "Can you tell me when it's 7:00?"

I was telling him about the late afternoon I went into the hospital because my tummy hurt, and finally, he was born the next morning just after 7:00 am. "How come you have to hold your legs when you have a baby?" Well....let's just continue. Then I told him how dad got to announce that you were boy because we didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl. "How do you know if it's a boy or girl?" I could tell him that answer. "Oh" Snicker. And now he's a big boy finishing 1st grade. "Mom, I'm going into 3rd grade!" My turn to snicker. "How come we celebrate your birthday?" He's asked this question a few times. I gave birth to you on June 7. Birthday means the day you were born and we celebrate. Then we got to talking about his friends and that after our San Diego trip we'd celebrate with a few of his friends and have a pirate party. He got all excited talking about parrots. Kinda crazy actually how excited he did get.

He's a funny kid. I wrote a little "I love you" on his marker board and left it on his bed one morning. The next day, I found the board on my bed with a reply. He was playing legos in his room and I knew I had to return it with something else written. So I erased and wrote,"Who let the dogs out?" and set it quietly inside his room by the door. He's a smart one. He returned it having written "woof, woof woof". I love being a mom.