Kiana was helping me set up the Christmas tree in the living room Sunday night. I asked her, "Kiana, do you remember who gave us this Christmas tree?" She said, "Jesse." She turned to her 3-year old friend, London, who was over playing,"London, did you know that Jesse died in a car accident?" Of course, London had no understanding and just nodded her head with those big beautiful brown eyes at Kiana. Then Kiana turned to me with the most inquisitive face, "Mom, if someone dies in a accident, does the policeman still give them a ticket?" Ah, kids' questions are the best. She looked so concerned I made sure to tell her that, no, the policeman does not give you a ticket.
A few minutes later I hear Ethan - in the kitchen helping clean up after dinner - ask Stuart, "Dad, do you believe in Santa Claus?" "I sure do." "Well, there's this kid at school, he said that there's no such thing as Santa Claus. We had a substitute and asked him if Santa was real, but he just said we're not talking about that right now." Stuart engaged with him for a bit and Ethan replied,"Well, the substitute said later that he believed in Santa Claus." I love the magic of Christmas.
I tried giving Maiya a kiss this morning while she ate her favorite Captain Crunch via Malt-O-Meal. She ducked her head so I got her forehead. My pretend cries didn't work their charms on her, she just covered her mouth and giggled at me, and when I tried again, she ducked again (I got the forehead) and she said, "no, no". Waaah! Mommy sad!
Today I am grateful for free lunches! Our office is headed for Behihana's!
No comments:
Post a Comment