As we were all filing into the house and I did my regular, "Kiana, I'll help you on the piano in a minute. Maiya, mommy help take off your coat." Ethan made a stop at the main floor bathroom. He called out,"Mom." I walked the 3 feet to see what he had to show me. He was just standing there with the cutest expression, the one where his eyes light up with an excited smile behind them,"Mom. I feel like we're RICH!" Hmmmm? "Really? What makes you say that?" He shrugged,"Well, we just have a lot of nice stuff. It seems like we're rich." "Like what?" "Well, like you and dad have a nice tv in your room, and we have a big tv, and our refrigerator is nice. It just seems like we have a lot of nice stuff." "We do have some nice things. Were you guys talking about being rich at school?" "No" "Were your friends talking about who is rich?" "No" He seriously looked at me like I was from Mars. "So you think we're rich, huh?" "Yeah. (giggle/shrug) We just have a lot of nice stuff so it seems like we're rich." "I'm glad you think that, dude."
I left the room feeling very humbled and surprised.
And lucky to have such a child.
Interesting how I look forward to a new home with room for a king-sized four-poster bed, MY own sink, MY own closet, MY office, more SPACE. Yet here's my 8 year old who thinks he's rich...and he's right.
Today I am grateful for the simple things.
No comments:
Post a Comment