Reminds me of ~2 months ago I went to Deseret Industries to look at their books. They had some items in a glass case and Ethan quickly pointed out,"Mom, look at those telescopes! There's one for $25!" He was so excited about those two telescopes and the glass chess set. A far cry from about 3 years ago (?)...he and I were up late one weekend and I said it was time for bed. When I headed upstairs he was sitting on Kiana's bed looking quietly out the window. I thought this would be some good bonding time and went in to sit beside him. "What'cha thinking about?" "Oh, nothing. Just looking at the stars." "They sure are pretty. So what do you think you want to be when you grow up?" I'm thinking I'm really bonding now...good mommy moment. "Ummmm, work at Walmart." Wo. Stop the press. HUH!?!?! "What?" "Yeah. Work at WalMart. They have a guy there that cleans their floors." Two things came to mind: 1) I needed to steer this in a different direction, and 2)I wondered what goes on in those little observant minds. The fact he noticed a janitor there. "Yes. They do. That is a very important job. It's important to keep stores clean and safe for people. But I thought you wanted to be an engineer and build things like both of your grandpa's." He sat there for a moment,"Yeah, but I could still work at WalMart." Today I am grateful for dreams. Kids have them, and I think adults forget them.
While we spend our time teaching kids all about life, they teach us what life is all about.