As goodnights made their rounds, Kiana made an announcement,"I have to talk to mom in private. Girl to girl. Private." That's new. Obviously important. We got comfortable on the bed and I asked her what was so important. Then came the tears. She said they had a substitute on Friday and Monday,"and we're not supposed to make grief." I couldn't wait to hear. Grief? Is that what your teacher says about the boys? "Yes. But mom, I wasn't dancing on the table." Her singsongy whine is perfect. She's crying, telling me about the naughty boys, how she was accused of dancing on the table, but she wasn't, she was just standing there to see how one of the kids were,"to see if he was OK." And how she didn't yell into the teacher's microphone. Through covered eyes and quivering lips,"It's my first yellow slip. If I don't turn it in tomorrow I'll get in more trouble." Were you scared to tell me? Yes; I thought you would be mad. She picked me over Stuart -- she's a daddy's girl so I'm taking this with all I can. I'm not mad...you told the truth and that's the right thing to do. She asked,"Will you tell daddy that I told the truth?" To think that Kiana's had this on her shoulders since Friday. Our pistol is rarely scared of anything so this must have been a doozy. Good girl.
The other night, I told the kids if they were good we'd get root beer floats after dinner. Hee hee, we'd go get them anyways but bribery is a parent's friend. When we drove home told the kids to head straight up to get their jammies on. What does Little Red do? By the time Stuey and I get in...Kiana's outside on the back porch just jumproping away. Jumping like there's not tomorrow. Yep, jumping rope. I laughed on the inside but then she's not listening. Stuart got to take care of this one. On her way up, she's all,"I wish I had NICE parents. You guys are so MEAN to me. Ahhhh!" Guaranteed I wasn't getting her vote for coolest mom on the block then. (A few days later a note appeared in her breakfast bowl from Brook. Along with $6. He was congratulating her on 600 jumps...a penny for each jump. These kids know how to milk it.)
No comments:
Post a Comment