template design

10.16.2010

2 words: That's OK

"Hey mom, can I use my Arch card for lunch today?"
Time set. Chores done. Yellow post-it with short list and we're off -- 1/2 block away to SuperWally's.
One pit stop at the return desk and I...why was I going to turn right?
I couldn't remember so we turned left.

Yeah! Getting lots done, quick trip in-n-out, what's left at home?, looking at stuff for Kiana's costume, she's pushing the cart. Ah, today's a feel-good day!

Then a quiet,"Hey mom, I'm kinda hungry." Huh?
Then I remembered...
"Kiana, I'm sorry. We were supposed to go to McDonald's 1st. Let's go. I'm so sorry."

I felt like the scum on the bottom of a fishpond remembering her eager face this morning, holding that plastic card as she asked to go, smile on face because she was going to buy her OWN lunch, thinking of her anticipation awaiting the time until we left, eagerness while patiently waiting while I did that return, then the crushing blow as we walked away from McD's...and the downer she must have felt as I didn't even mention ANYTHING to her strolling down the aisles. Did she think I didn't care about her? When did I dash her hopes? When did she 1st say to herself,"Hmm, mom forgot." I was already crying on the inside walking as fast as I could towards the Happy Meal line and aroma of french fries that I hoped would bring a smile to her face and tummy, and a feast of relief for me.

"Honey, I'm so, so very sorry."
I had failed. I had failed her.

Then, she did the thing that makes me feel grateful, ashamed, and humbled.

She smiled.
She shrugged.
"That's OK, I forget things too sometimes."
Just. Like. That.

She's 8.
She'd been looking forward to something.
And I'd blown it.
2 more steps and I had to stop and hug and kiss that girl.
I watched in amazement and awe at what I had just been reminded of from this fiesty redhead ordering her own pumpkin bucket of chicken nuggets for the first time.
I need to be more Just. Like. That.

No comments:

Post a Comment