I love watching kids' eyes sparkle with a sense of wonder, awe and excitement. Learning something new. Creating. Thinking. Dreaming. A notch higher than that, I love the random things they say...and everyday is full of those at our house. This is just today with Ethan...
*Morning: Ethan walked upstairs and in passing said,"I'm beginning to hate the Greeks!"
I stood dumbfounded,"Why?"
Ethan,"Because they invented school. 600 B.C."
(Darn Greeks!)
*Afternoon: Ethan and I were talking about something and I mentioned,"Mommy isn't the best at being patient. I just like to get things done." His reply,"Yeah, I got that trait from you." (Darn truth!)
*5:45 pm: Stuart had left to watch the Utah v. Oregon State game with a buddy. I was prepped for a Girls Night Out. Maiya was all grins knowing she was going to her friend's Haley and Bella's house for a few hours. So that would leave Ethan and Kiana rulers of the roost for about 2 hours. Movie!
Ethan and I ran to pick one up at Redbox. Pulling into the parking lot Ethan asked, "Hey mom, if you could go back in time, to any time period, which one would it be? I'd go back in time to the Titantic so I could tell those IDIOTS to bring binoculars...cuz they didn't bring binoculars."
He shrug his shoulders at the end, like, duh, they should have had someone on deck with binoculars!! Then he continued,"And I woulda told them to put a double layer of steel on the sides." With that his hands went up and down motioning the v-shape of the below-water shape of a cruiseliner. I sat behind the wheel shaking my head thinking, my first thought was '1993' (my HS graduation year, what I'd do different) and here Ethan is, 11 years old, wanting to go back in time to save the Titantic from sinking.
Ethan has been more reflective lately. He's asked that type of question often and been fascinated with the Titantic. He has replied, "I'd go back in time to invent something to save the Titantic so all of those people wouldn't have died." For a kid to think of that, it's powerful.
Ethan has been more reflective lately. He's asked that type of question often and been fascinated with the Titantic. He has replied, "I'd go back in time to invent something to save the Titantic so all of those people wouldn't have died." For a kid to think of that, it's powerful.
While he ran into the store to grab Zookeeper I sat at the steering wheel thinking about his answer, feeling I was in the presence of a 90-pound giant. Jokingly, I had thought only of myself. To the contrary, he had given his answer serious thought as to what he could have contributed to saving the lives of others. He'd asked me a similar question prior to September 11, his answer being,"I'd make it so 9/11 never happened." Thoughtful and impressive. The mind of a child is amazing.
As he climbed into the backseat with the movie and shut the door I asked for my debit card back. "Weeeeeellll I need to hang on to it until after I buy an iMac." (He did mention earlier in the day how Macbook Pro's are #1, Macbook Air's are #3 on some random list of top selling computers for 2011.)
I have no idea what those "mac"-techie-gizmo's are...I just know that I love, love, love that excited-bright eyed, smiling, tilted face looking back at me like no other...holding onto my card. (Too Darn Cute!)
No comments:
Post a Comment