template design

12.11.2011

Bedtime stories. Growing up. Christmas carols.



Maiya - Reading bedtime stories has become a special time for Stuart and Maiya. I felt a little left out tonite so I crawled in beside Maiya as she and Stuart read one of her favorite Arthur Thanksgiving books. I got to read Arthur's lines and since she had most of the lines memorized she read aloud and laughed at all the funny parts. I was touched to see towards the end they'd substituted 'Maiya' in place of the word 'turkey' and she had some giggles for that. When that book finished she said,"OK, you can go now. But mom, if you want to stay you can." obviously I looked a little lost because that's when I found out that's when she reads The Night Before Christmas by herself, or rather, read to her via Grandma Pippin through a Hallmark book they received last year under the tree. So, I got a goodnight story too.

She was about a minute behind me going into our bedroom where Stuart was folding laundry and catching the final minutes of the Dallas Cowboys v. New York Giants game. Maiya asked,"What can I do so you can finish faster?" Wow, she catches on quick! Although pleading with her to go to aleep, she hopped on the bed,"I like to match up the socks." What a great helper she was. She said she liked the polar bear socks and I told her I remembered when Ethan had worn those. She must have been folding some of Kiana's socks because she randomly said,"Kiana is the loveliest giwl...so are you mom."

Awwwe.

I asked her,"Do you want mommy or daddy to tuck you in." She was holding her monkey Maiya and she pointed to me!!! I made a big deal in saying,"Yeees! Haha dad, Maiya chose me!:

After the 2nd tuck-in, she came in, again,"OK, this is the last thing thing I have to talk to you about." Her owie still 'huwted'. And she can't go to sleep. 2 kisses and it was better. But I knew she wasn't going anywhere.

So we made a bed on the floor. As usual.
When Stuart crashed and I'm typing on the laptop, she eyed Stuart carefully while crawling in bed and getting comfy between us. As usual.
Stuart stirred and told her to go lay in her bed.
"Dad, I'm gonna lay hewe until I fall asleep, then you can cawwy me into my bed." As usual.

Girl with a plan.
Love it!

Ethan - During Sacrament Meeting today he leaned over and whispered,"I'm growing up."
He knows that bugs me.
"I'm growin up and I'm going to leave the house and go to college."
I turned and whispered back,"I know. But today you're here. And you're MINE!"

Kiana - Kiana hates people looking at her, watching her, clapping for her, commenting on or to her. Basically, she hates any sort of attention.

She has been singing more in the car. I casually complimented her on her voice. Today, Stuart caught her in the play room with Maiya in a princess dress while they were dancing - with the door closed of course - and I guess when she was caught she played it off that she was 'just playing with Maiya'. Whatever makes her happy.

Today....today she came to choir with me. For the 1st time! And she did fabulous! She didn't complain, moan or even ask the how-much-longer? question. She sang. And when rice krispie butterscotch bar treats were available at the end, she took one and took a quick step back for a 2nd, and while walking out said,"I'm taking this one home to dad." Thoughtful.

The Wild Child has a beautiful heart and I sure love her for it.