Last night at Family Home Evening I opened up on of the cute storybooks Auntie Melissa gave us - for FHE - to a story about apologizing. (Alma the Younger to be exact.) Kiana rolled her eyes but welcomed the opportunity to read the story sitting next to me, Maiya curled up in my lap, Ethan chilling on the other couch tinkering with some Lego-guy contraption. While Kiana was reading, Maiya laughed, "Haha, I fawted on mom!" An all too familiar interruption mingled with laughter ~ and who can get mad at a face displaying 100% pure pride? At the end of the story we chatted about the 3 steps of a true apology and I asked,"For instance, let's say someone pinches Maiya reeeeally hard." Ethan busted up laughing, "Ha, Kiana." Kiana covered her face with her hands. "I said 'for instance'...and she cries. What should we do?" Kiana curled up and covered her face with her hands, then exploded her legs and hands like a huge "X" in a burst of excitement,"Hey mom, remember that one time I pinched Maiya really hard and she cried (giggles) that was so funny. And then you made me come home and sit in Time Out. (giggles) That was so funny." Maiya threw on a frowny whine,"Nana is always mean to me!" Watching this fiasco I was so laughing on the inside but figured diversion was my best method of defense in this what-should-be-a-great-teaching-moment,"OK, what should we do? Option A - (Valley-girl/rolling eyes) Sorry Maiya. Or, option B - (more thoughtful) Maiya, I'm really sorry. Where does it hurt? Let me rub it till it feels better. I'm sorry I pinched you and I won't do it again." A teaching moment for sure, right? I realized I'd asked for trouble when I saw their faces light up and you can imagine what the answers were.
Ethan and Kiana erupted in a chorus of hollering and jumping,"OPTION A! OPTION A! OPTION A!" and Maiya joined in with her fists going up and down echoing agreeance but having no understanding what she was opining to.
Good thing I'll NEVER have to apologize for a lack of laughter at the Pip's house! LOL around here means LOTS OF LOVE! Sure LOL these crazies!
No comments:
Post a Comment