We met up with Brook and Susie at Grandma Engla's for our yummy dinner. Grandma didn't each much and afterwards Ethan and Kiana played the violin and piano for her. Grandma's so cute that she kept singing Jingle Bells (it was the 1st song Kiana played) but it showed she was able to understand what was being played. At 99, she is getting weaker...and probably more tired.
As I kissed Ethan goodnight, both our heads ended up laying on the couch as we kneeled over the cushions. I jokingly told him he could totally have a camp-out in our room sometime and without moving he replied, "Mom...I'm 11. I'm gonna grow up, drive, move out, go to college, get married, have kids and you're gonna be a gramma, get old and wrinkly and die. Then I'll be happy because I won't have anyone to boss me around except my wife." "Yep. And that will be worse." First words out of my mouth. We smiled and I smacked his butt. Smart kid sure knows how to hit my weak spot!
Crazy thing? I do think about when all these kids are grown and it IS torture. When we won't discover Kiana hiding UNO cards under her legs AFTER saying she'd won; when Maiya no longer will whine,"nana's being mean to me."; when Ethan's infectious giggles aren't filling the air; when Kiana's funny faces and hyena cackles are replaced with what? the hum of the ice maker?; when Maiya isn't lining 5 steps with all her stuffed animals and Barbies and toys like she did this afternoon, looking at me saying,"Mom, I'll clean it up."; or the absence of Ethan's endless questions about space/science/math/and who knows what! But, I do have TODAY. A today filled with lots of funnies and Remember When moments for tomorrow...and I'm going to make the very best of it because TODAY is what they will remember!