template design

10.22.2012

Chrystallize

My sweet Ethan surprises me all the time. All the time.
A few weeks ago he asked me where The Venue is here in Salt Lake City. I didn't know. A few moments later he silently held his iPod in front of me. Lindsey Stirling was putting on a concert here in Salt Lake on October 11th. I said that was neat and silently thought what a perfect mom/son outing that would be. He had talked about her, but I had never heard her music, so I youtubed Chrystallize. Then, as a mushy mom, sat in the overstuffed chair and cried while this funky, fun, inner energy played through the sound waves.

Why? My son loves this music.
Why, when I close my eyes and listen, does my heart tug? My son loves this type of music.
Why, when I asked Stuart through blubbering tears,"Did you ever, in your wildest dreams, think you would ever have a son that loves this kind of music?" He was watching football on an empty couch. Nope.

Then I forgot about it. The concert, not the moment.

Since that time I've noticed that on one of his writing papers his answer to his favorite song, and artist...he'd written Chrystallize   Lindsey Sterling. Last week he had to write a personal poem titled "I Am" with 20 "I Am" statements after it. Before he erased one of the lines, I spied he'd written "I Am going to play the violin with Lindsey Sterling someday." He substituted that with "I Am a violinist." That there is my dreamer.

Yesterday I remembered what I had forgotten and prayed and prayed the concert was the 27th, not the 17th. Please, oh please. But Mr. Internet said it was October 11. The calendar reminded me that instead of that awesome mom/son outing we had juggled 3 soccer practices all at 6:00 pm. (That's probably why only 1 kid showed up from Maiya's team. Lame. I was supposed to be somewhere else.) Oh how I wish I could reverse time! After seeing that her last shows are in California, and sold out in both Seattle and Portland, I slowly walked downstairs to my sweet Ethan, who was at the stove making Sunday-lunch-Ramen and just hugged him. "I'm sorry." "What for?" "I totally forgot to take you to the Lindsey Stirling concert. We were at soccer practices instead." He smiled and shrugged,"I know. October 11. That's OK, there's always next year." Next year? I'm running out of years here with you, don't you know?!
Tonight, ~10:15 pm while typing up some assignment stuff with him and his eyes are 1/2 asleep as he lies on the couch, he randomly shares,"Tomorrow Lindsey Stirling's new song comes out."

He's 1/2 asleep.
And his thoughts drifting off into Dreamland are of a dancing violinist's new song being released tomorrow.

A stranger at a party once asked me if that was my son, pointing to a boy reading a book under a shady tree. I said yes. He nodded his head and thoughtfully replied,"I've been watching him. He's going to do great things someday."

Yes. Yes he is.