I thought I'd surprise Maiya and take her to the Awards Assembly to be recognized without telling her that she'd been selected as Student of the Month for March by her sweet kindergarten teacher. But then I knew that I'd never get her out of the house without her jeggings and favorite florescent green unicorn shirt. If it were up to her, she'd wear that outfit 24/7.
So I made a big announcement at dinner two nights ago and she's been excited for her shining moment. I'm glad I told her because that made it easier for me to pick out an outfit - only to have the tights and shirt be rejected by her - then search for outfit #2 and get an approving smile. Outfit - check. She picked out a big flower headband and my suggestion for pigtails with matching bows was quickly, very quickly, d.e.n.i.e.d. I can deal with that.
As we sat in the kiva at Daybreak Elementary I poked Kiana's arm, pointing to Maiya. Maiya had her legs crossed and her hands folded, fingers entwined, set neatly in her lap looking like a chic businesswoman waiting to make an important speech. She looked all grown up. Boo! Then she looked up and grinned, with that cute missing tooth and she looked 6 years old again. Yippee Skippee!
Pictures. Note from the teacher read aloud. Award. Donut. Donut...it was the first thing she opened when we got home. She had to hold it with both hands! "Maiya, are you going to eat the whole thing?"
"What?! It's just a little donut."
She's a Pippin. Her blood bleeds donuts. She's got it covered.
The next thing? She went and put on her jeggings and favorite florescent green unicorn shirt.


I love that girl!
ReplyDelete