template design

5.24.2013

Ms. Proud to be an American

Saying Kiana loves to write is as evident as a tiger bearing stripes. A pen and paper are like her waterfall of feelings...they flow. Easily. I have a whole drawer full of letters, lists, cards and our Mom-Daughter Journal is back up and sharing. She easily pours out her hilarious thoughts, frustrated feelings, or shopping desires on paper.

So it should have been no surprise when she came home and said that her teacher had selected her essay as one to read at the 5th grade program. The class didn't put names on their final essays, 'I'm Proud to be an American', "so she wouldn't know who's they were when she was reading them." And she picked Kiana's.

I smiled when I read it. She's not afraid to speak her mind about our wonderful and blessed country. For a mere second I thought an adult - depending on who they are - may be offended. Then that mere second passed and I thought, this is a child's essay. This is a child's thoughts. This is a child that is not afraid yet of what others will think of her opinion, her values, her beliefs - a characteristic I wish more adults possessed. A child who is brave to write her opinion, her values, her beliefs, and read them aloud to the crowd. May she always have that strength.

I can't wait for her to read it!


No comments:

Post a Comment