template design

5.25.2013

Honky Tonk Attitude

Kiana has had the same amazing coach for the last 3 years. 6 seasons. 1 loss. Yep.

She is at home playing Ms. Defender on the field. Coach made attempts the first season to switch kids around and she'd always float back to her comfort zone. Since then coach has let her flourish there and other kids in their comfort zones. Their stellar record doesn't mean there's one superstar on the team. If you watch them, they play their positions. They pass the ball. They set up plays. They understand the value of teamwork. They also don't gloat, which I love and appreciate. Because they dominate, Coach has had them play different positions, pass x-number of times, and all those other things excellent coaches do when they can read the competitive difference between teams, yet still strive for our kids to do what THEY need to do: play their best. So, Kiana has been playing mid-field and forward after some time at defense and it has helped her confidence in ball-handling skills and more action. She can't hide and coach calls her back to her position when she tries to slink back to her home on the field.

At the last game, on a penalty, coach called out for her take a penalty kick. She stood frozen, looking at the sideline, dumbfounded. I felt for her. I don't think she's taken a penalty kick in years, and happy day, coach was having her take one today! Some of the boys were wanting it and I watched her gesture to them to go ahead, all the while I'm thinking,"Listen to your coach!" Coach yelled again for her to take the shot. I stood up as I watched her going to the line. She stood tall and squared her shoulders. She kicked. BAM - the ball went straight in! Everyone cheered!

She hates attention. She h.a.t.e.s. people watching her. Both Stuart and I looked at each other, knowing we couldn't make a big deal about it or she'd scowl.


When she came off the field after the game I asked her when was the last time she took a penalty shot. She couldn't remember it had been so long. How did it feel?

She shrugged. "Yeah. I busted out my honky-tonk attitude!"

Hilarious! That girl! Jason Aldean's upbeat song 1994 is one we laugh along with, and now I know she's been paying attention to the lyrics...bout to bust out my honky tonk attitude. I'm beginning to think she has a Closet of Attitudes and decides each morning which one to pick out and wear for the day. Now I know there's a honky tonk attitude!

It was a 15-second instance on a soccer complex, but I hope she will have learned a much larger lesson to carry through life. I'm grateful she had this experience to do something she hadn't done before. That she listened to her coach, who believed in her and desired her to grow as a player. I'm grateful she chose not to pass her unique opportunity to a willing teammate. I'm grateful she will have this memory. Most importantly, I'm grateful she faced her fears, showing her that sometimes - with the right attitude - success can happen when preparation meets opportunity. She'll surprise others who are cheering her on, but most importantly, she'll surprise herself with her abilities and hidden talents. You go girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment