template design

5.29.2013

Too Cool

As part of earning his Citizenship in the Community merit badge for Scouts, Ethan and his troop were to attend the Daybreak HOA meeting at the community center. I also attend and I told him to get dressed, then we'd leave. He looked confused and asked, "In what?". "Uh, your scout uniform." Durr. Scout event = scout uniform. "Mom, we don't have to wear our uniform. We only have to wear them to a Court of Honor." He thought he was so smart, so I gave it right back. "Ethan. I grew up with 3 brothers in Scouts. I do know some things. You wear your uniform." He wasn't too happy. Other boys don't so why should he - I said they're not my sons, and my sons wear their uniform. He came back with his scout shirt on, untucked, with khaki shorts and flip flops. Ahhh! Calm breath, I've learned to pick my battles and compromise. "Dude. I will OK nice, clean jeans but that combo has to go. Go." He really wasn't happy, and he let me know it. I wouldn't let up. Scouts must look decent. He came back with jeans sans belt. He knows that is a pet peeve - and did it on purpose - but this time he wouldn't let up and I have a 'thing' with punctuality. He also had a 'thing' for riding his bike there, so I took the fact at least he was in his uniform and took Maiya in the car for the 1/2 block trip and we made it to the meeting early.

I guess I'm not cool anymore (maybe I never was). He ditched me at sign-in. I didn't know where he went, and as they started the meeting I found him and his buddies in the lobby. When they came into the room, they sat in the back row; Ethan too. I guess he's too cool to sit by old mom. When they left together at the 1-hour mark, he left with them too! Maiya and I slowly followed behind...he was not one ounce worried about checking in with his old lady he was having so much fun with his buddies. As I watched him cross the grassy lawn from the community center to the church to meet up with his troop, I couldn't help but smile. I'm sad he's growing up, but happy he's got friends to be with.

I was also smiling because he was the only one in his uniform. And I think he looked pretty cool wearing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment