template design

5.16.2008

Mother's Day 2008

The night before... The kids were taking turns bathing before heading over to our neighbor's house to play. Kiana was having a "rough night" and was refusing to get out of the tub. "OK Kiana, I'm taking Ethan and Maiya over without you if you don't get out." Several warnings later I headed down the street with two kids, hearing the echo of the 3rd's screams. When I returned Stuart was sending one unhappy little princess to her bed for not listening. About 30 minutes later, I came inside to take a break from Stuart and I working in the backyard. Hmmmm...no Kiana. I waited about 15 minutes before notifying Stuart,"You better head to Laura's to retrieve one of your children." Huh? It didn't quite register. "Your red-headed child is missing." By the look on Stuey's face I was glad at that moment he wasn't my dad! I found him sitting on the front steps a few minutes later, cooling down before he headed 3 houses down to retrieve our rebellious 5 year-old pistol.

Back at home. Back in bed. Still unhappy. I was at the kitchen table working on a poster and she sat on the steps with her arms folded. "I'll stop crying if you let me go to Laura's. No one loves me. Everyone is mean to me. I wish I had a nice mom. I'll only listen to you guys if you let me go to Laura's." She's 5. I told her we loved her but she still couldn't go to Laura's. They must have deafed out the you-need-to-listen-the-first-time phrase at the hospital because my kids just don't seem to hear that. Then the biggie came,"Hmphf, then I'm going to rip up your Mother's Day present." Stomp. Stomp. Stomp up the stairs. Rip. Rip. Rip. Crinkle. Crinkle. "See, I'm going to throw away your Mother's Day present in the trash." Stomp. Stomp. Stomp. THUD. It was gone. "Kiana, that makes me really really sad."

Later, Stuart went to check on her in bed. She told him what she had done and, "mom had a frown on her face." She cried. "Now I'm sad because I made mommy sad." Softies. Stuart took her to the store with him to pick up my present.

Mother's Day...
They tried so hard to be good & not pick on each other. Ethan and Kiana sang so pretty at church. I picked the menu and Stuart cooked it up: Chicken Cordon Bleu, veggies, mashed potatoes - and for dessert he made a Rocky Road cheesecake. Mmm! Mmm! Thank you! Maiya finally wore the darling sailor dress from Gymboree that's been hanging in her closet for a year. Love those. Ethan wrote me a poem, displayed in a black frame from school: Mom, I love you because you are like a blossom reaching out for spring. I love you because I was born in the arms of an angel. I love you in the heart of love. Tearjerker that kid. Kiana was loving and endearing, excited to present me with a brand new rake,"because you wanted to rake yesterday but we couldn't find ours." I wish time stood still. I feel very lucky to cuddle up with my three Happy Thoughts on the couch and know that I am a very blessed mom. No diamond necklace from Jared's compares to these little monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment