template design

4.11.2009

Saturday morning cartoons

4:30 a.m.: No surprise. Ethan climbed into our bed on my side. I get pushed to the middle with no pillows, kicks on the side, and bad sleep. So I climb out to begin "mommy chores" while Stu finished a school presentation for today and at about 6:45 a.m. I take a break to do a little reading on the end of our bed. The clock reads 6:58 a.m. when Ethan sits up and looks at me. "I'm going to watch cartoons." "OK!" He looks at me like I don't understand English and repeats, "I'm going to watch cartoons." My turn to repeat, "Oooooo K." "Mom, you could go in my room if you want." I dont' know what to say so I don't say anything...so now I'm getting kicked out of MY bed, MY bedroom? "Mom! You could to in my room if you want," he's got this repetition thing down pat. "So, Ethan. How come you wake up before 7 every Saturday, but when it's time to get up at 7 for school it's too hard?" "It's because I go to bed later," he explains. "Oh, so you go to bed later on Friday night and that makes you wake up earlier on Saturday morning?" He clicks the remote on and he leans back on our pillows to get comfortable. "I don't know. There's just something that wakes me up on Saturdays!" His singing along to the theme song of some superhero cartoon was my cue to leave. This kid lives for Saturday morning cartoons. It's a bad scene when I try to run errands because "Mom, they are ALL my FAVORITE!"

Kiana has been down with a fever this entire Spring Break. We had plans for horseback riding and other fun outings, but she's still sleeping off a fever and cold. She loves to sleep, but this is excessive.

Yesterday we were leaving for lunch at McDonald's. Maiya had a grey bunny wrapped in her arm and said,"Mom, where's my red sunglasses?" Awe! Now she's into complete sentences. Her latest for bedtime is,"Daddy so mean!" because he'll put her to bed and she knows she has to stay - unlike when mommy puts her to bed and she says,"Mom, I want you," and puts her arms out. Yes, she climbs out of bed if I'm upstairs while Stu's studying because she knows we'll "hide" if daddy comes up. She tattles on Ethan who's reclaimed his Lego's,"Wahhh! Ethan so mean!" Seriously, her cries are the saddest thing ever. I can't resist those sad, dark eyes rimmed with tears.

Today I am grateful for those Saturday morning cartoons. I remember fighting Jesse, Teage and Brett for my right to watch Smurfs instead of Transformers.