6:23 a.m.
Me: Are you my baby girl?
Maiya: Yep
Me: Are you my best buddy?
Maiya: I not your best buddy.
Me: Who's your best buddy?
Maiya: His name is Kai.
Joy #1: Kiddie Gift Swap. Hit Target early so E/K could grab something small for each other. I had Ethan, girls went with dad. It was curious to watch his excitement to select something for his sisters...rewind to the pre-Target era (ah!) and I remember that same elation swapping gifts with my siblings courtesy of the annual elementary school Santa's Secret Shop; now we laugh at those heart shaped key chains and knock-off hot wheels. They later wrapped in secret and added their offerings to the growing pile under the tree. Ethan's scribbles 'To: little M'. Heartbreaker.
An early, quick chat with Santa @ the mall and a few "Howwwww many more stores? We've been here forrrreeeevver!" D.r.a.m.a.
Joy #2: Compliment. Great Harvest for lunch & grab a few loaves. The energetic owner asks the kids if they are excited for Santa to come. Jokes with them. On his next walk-by in the crowded shop he stands about 6" from me,"Are those kids yours?" Yep. Looks at Stu, shakes his head, goes on for a few minutes saying I look like I'm in high school. Kind, smiling man brings us a loaf of Cinnaburst,"to make french toast for the kiddies in the morning." I thought about the message of 'paying it forward' -- I really like this guy.
Joy #3: D.O.N.E. Glad to be traveling the opposite direction of the massive traffic for a pitstop at Mickey D's before heading home. Funny #1: a mom thanked us for coming and that our kids played nice. Apparently the thugs beating on hers left before us. Funny #2: A really young looking mom sat next to us. When I spied her doing napkin-placemats I felt an instant connection! I asked if she gets age-comments & we swapped stories. HOME! Yippee! Pouting Maiya,"I not your best friend" for the 100th time to Kiana. E/K giggling,"Hi best buddy" before the next wrestling roll over and wet willy, "I'll get you best buddy, grrrrr".
20 minutes later...the tears...because best buddy licked 'em.
No comments:
Post a Comment