template design

3.08.2011

Attitude

Ethan's really been wantin' to spend some money.
The past few weeks? Every phone call made at lunch or before I head home have ended with a cheerful,"Don't forget to stop off at the bank for my money." Each inquiry if he needed something was answered with,"My ipad." or simply, "You know."

I know - an ipad!
Consistency credit right there.

The Rule at our house is: if it's your money you can spend it how you want. However, mom/dad have a say if it seems a rush or larger purchase - we'll usually have you sit on it a few days. (And most times the kids realize they didn't want it afterwards.)
But ultimately, we want to teach them the value of a dollar.

Yesterday Ethan wanted me to drive to Gamestop. I advised him to think about the game for 2 days and if he still wanted it I'd happily drive him there. If not, that's cool. He wasn't happy with me.

Tonight, all I heard about was a cheat-code book offered on ebay. No whining. No, "Mom, it's MY MONEY!"; he was very informative and explained how it would help him (pro/con) and how it was cheaper on ebay than retail in the store. He'd done his homework.

That's my boy!

I cook; the kids clean. While they cleaned up dinner he asked about and I explained PayPal, he casually mentioned that the auction ended in 20 minutes. I looked straight at him and let him know there's lots of things everyone wants to buy or have - was this one of them? He firmly stated,"Yes." This was one of those 'ah-ha' moments. Most impressive to me was how he hadn't complained or uttered a "mean mom" comment. His attitude had been amazing.

So out came my credit card and a few clicks later he was the proud owner of a cheat-codes book. He already had a wad of $1 bills rolled up like a crayon to hand me. Sure, I could have bought it, but the experience was totally worth it.

He came to me a few minutes later with a huge smile, "Hey mom, if you ever climb a mountain with people and if they complain, tell them a little more altitude and a little less attitude." (Thanks commercial!)

I'll remember that!

1 comment:

  1. That boy cracks me up!!!!! Now we want vacation pictures! :) I know, I need to get on it also!

    ReplyDelete