Today was The Big Day at Falcon Ridge Elementary (I LOVE this school!). As we were walking into the garage, Maiya asked,"Mom, how long do I have to go to school?" I answered,"Honey, once you start you go to school for a loooooong time." Pretty sure that moment in time will be etched in my mind forever - no emotions, today is HER moment!
Grandma Pippin was in town and came with us. The gym was packed and after picking up our packet from our PTA friends in the foyer we joined the group and were first given a briefing on preparing for kindergarten. The parents were asked for a raise of hands from those sending a child to kindergarten for the first time (raise of hands), then asked how many of us were sending our last kindergartener. That was MY moment of self denial; I couldn't raise my hand and Grandma Pippin reached over to help wrestle my arm up. The thought 'Look out world! Here we come!' came to mind combined with the visual of Dr. Seuss' book 'The Places You'll Go' as I looked around at all these cute, bright-eyed and smiling, eager 5-year olds ready to take on Kindergarten. What an exciting journey ahead for them!
Upon entering one of the kindergarten classrooms Mrs. Atwood asked the children to sit on the rug while she read to them a story, and the parents at the tables to read a mini-packet in preparation for some small activities afterwards: coloring a star, following directions, identifying letters and sounds, making a playdough snake and letters - fun stuff! A cute little boy sitting across the table from us stated,"What!? They only have purple scissors? That's messed up what's up with this school?" Too funny! This kid and Maiya could be buddies.
p.s. Please take care of My Baby Girl!

No comments:
Post a Comment