template design

4.16.2012

Long Secret

After another kid-fun-filled day with Grandma and Grandpa Pippin, we all sat down to a delicious dinner of chicken, rice and asparagus. I'm estimating Kiana ate half of it ("All of this food is just so good!") and convinced Ethan did some disappearing magic trick on the solo piece of asparagus he was left at the table to eat before being dismissed...go figure. The meal was a display of yummyness, but the best part of my meal came in the unedible side dishes:

Side dish #1: When Kiana said randomly aloud,"I like it when you guys are here," to G/G sitting across from her. Since we don't see them often this past week has been a treasure.

Side dish #2: Ethan's description of vegetables:

Side dish #3: Maiya leaned over just as the meal began and quietly looked me intently in the eyes. "I havta tell you a secret. It's a long secret." As I leaned my ear over I assumed it was going to be related to how Ethan gets more time on the computer than her. I was way off. She cupped her left hand over her mouth and my ear and proceeded without any interruptions or um's the most beautiful story from the mouth of babes. I wish so much to bottle some of these precious detailed moments, but in summary her whispered story...

When Jesus was on the earth some people put him on the cross and killed him. His friends loved him and put his body in a tomb and when they came back to see him his body was gone. They were sad. But then an angel came down from heaven and moved the rock. He told Jesus' friends 'don't be afraid' because Jesus was alive.

Of course, there was more. Much more. I was in awe at the uninterrupted details she shared and grateful she thought to share with me. She wouldn't share her secret at FHE, but when Stuart arrived home I made a big deal about her telling her secret just to mom and dad in our bedroom, with the door closed,"So Kiana can't hear". She restated the entire story, but added more, some:
- she asked dad, "Do you know what a tomb is? It's a rock with a room inside." She cupped her hands for a visual and sounded more like 'wock with a woom inside'. :)
- she asked,"Do you know what a cross is? It's made outta 2 pieces of wood." "Do you know how they nailed Jesus to the cross? They put nails in his hands here and here, and they put some in his feet." She pointed out all those too.

As she arrived at the end of the story, when the angel told his friends to not be afraid and how much Jesus' friends loved him, she added,"After Jesus died he came back alive after three days (3 fingers in the air)"...and then she smiled and continued,"and that will happen to Jesse." Wow. That took me by surprise and the eyes showed it. I hugged her and she giggled, "And grandma too!" Yes, and Grandma Engla too!

Definitely one of the best stories ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment