template design

11.02.2013

Puppies and Marriage

Barkley got attacked by another lab while we were working on our rental in the old neighborhood. I wasn't there at the time of the incident, but the neighbors had kindly taken care of going with Brook to the vet and making sure she was all right and her injuries attended to.

On our way home we got a call that she was ready to be picked up. The kids were anxious to see how Barkley was. She'd needed stitches on her chest and her backside was sore from a bite. She was very groggy, barely able to move, and as expected - scared. Stuart had to carry her out to the truck. She'll be OK but a little under the weather for awhile.

While driving home, Maiya asked with pure innocence and obvious forethought, "I have a question. Do dogs hafta get mawwied befowe they have puppies?" 

Wow! Question of the decade. Ethan and Kiana started their usual giggles and ready to say their usual sibling answers...but I beat them, using my don't-mess-with-this-tone. "Maiya, that is a very good question." She was pleased and eager to listen. "No, dogs don't get married. So they don't have to be married to have puppies." Stuart confirmed that and I darted him the do-not-laugh-aloud-glare. Maiya was being serious, and she deserved a serious answer. But then she continued,"But people are mawwied?"
Stuart,"Yes, people are married and have babies."
Maiya," But dog's don't? Well then, how do they have puppies?
I was stuck,"Welllll...."
Ethan was quick,"Good luck with that one mom." He giggled,"Yeah, what about (x)"

I looked over at Stuart. He was stuck. 
I love that kids have questions. 
I just wish I had all the answers.
But, I don't.


Maiya: I have a question. Do dogs hafta get mawwied to have puppies?
Me: Good question. No, dogs don't get married. So they don't have to be married to have puppies.
M: But people are married?
Stu: Yes, people are married and have babies.
M: But dogs don't? But then, how do they have puppies?
Ethan: Good luck with that one mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment