I surprised Maiya earlier in the week and told her we were going to see a play, The Wizard of Oz, presented by Ethan's middle school. Poor girl, when I asked if she had ever seen the movie, she shook her head with a confusing and hesitant no! Eek! But all week long, she counted down the days until she could go.
So, tonight was Girls Night! Maiya, Kiana, and her bestie, Ammie (who just got the lead in her 6th grade play), all went over to see the play together. It was fabulous! I was captivated by the scenery, the costumes, and the acting. When the talking trees came out onstage, I was blown away; I wanted to be in that costume it was so cute! Maiya's eyes were glued to the stage and during intermission she asked if she could be in a play. She got the usual answer, "Someday." In talking to the dad of the main monkey, he pretty much summed up the night's extraordinary performance, "It's Utah. What do you expect?" Yep. But costumes and scenery aside, the acting was top notch and I'm so glad Maiya's 1st experience with the stage was positive.
In addition to the play, they had some great auction items to raise funds for the drama department. I love that I live in a community that is so willing to donate to education and our kids. Maiya lost out on a chocolate cake, but was pleased as punch to walk out with another cake - "her cake" - to be in charge of at home. I got some other great items too, I mean, when I'm excited to win an oil change I know I'm getting old! I almost want to go back tomorrow for another round of auction items and entertainment, but it was a packed house tonight and undoubtedly will be tomorrow as well. Ethan's Spanish teacher is the Drama teacher as well, and her little dog played a perfect Toto. Perfect production all around!
And the best part? Maiya. When she asked,"Mom, am I a munchkin 'cuz I'm little?" Yep.
No comments:
Post a Comment