Maiya has her 2nd grade Wax Museum coming up the end of May. We knew immediately who she would do her biography on: Irena Sendler. We had Kiana's poster from a previous project and Irena is an amazing example of courageous love and sacrifice that saved 2,500 Jewish children's lives. She has been so worried about her costume, so last night we got out a white shirt, a silver metal lunchbox for her first-aid kit, and a baby doll; we've got Red Cross signs to make to embellish and then we're golden. Children - especially girls - need heroes like her to look up to. I'd grabbed all of the Biography books I had from our family library awhile back and left them in a pile for her to read. Tonight I came up to my room to find her...
...sitting on the end of my bed poised like a teacher would do reading to her students seated on the carpet. She held the book facing out with her right hand, reading aloud with voice inflections and all. I L.O.V.E.D it! She was reading about Ruby Bridges, and I could tell she took particular interest in how Ruby was escorted to school. When she was finished she closed the book, reflectively said how much she liked that book, then hopped off the tall bed, and in her curious voice asked, "Mom, what if I lived back then? Would I go to the black school or to the white school? 'Cuz my skin is kinda medium."
Yes, it is! Medium.
I told her I didn't know. I'm just very grateful to live in a day that I don't have to deal with those trials, and again grateful for the example of yet another hero who paved the way for generations to benefit from in terms of equality and a role model for courage, purpose and principle.
No comments:
Post a Comment