template design

5.19.2015

Help

Kiana had her school dance performance tonight. This was her first dance class, ever. Each dance class did a number, focused on some social theme. Her class did a dance on bullying titled Help; one group was bullies (dressed in red/black), another were those being bullied (grey) and a third were bystanders (muted blue). Kiana was a bystander who, in reality, was happy to get a brand new shirt in the process.

She quietly did her part and I was so proud of her. My spirited red-head who does NOT like the spotlight one bit, no way, sir-ee, did a few twirls and leaps with a sheepish grin. Nope, this one is not going to give me a cheerleader grin and a wink. And that is OK with me.

When I asked her if she liked it, she said modern dance is not her gig. I admitted hip hop and jazz/drill/cheer are more my forte and she perked up a bit, saying,"Yeah, me too." She's never done those but I know she has some groovy moves inside her waiting to come out. I asked her if she still wanted to do cheer,"No. That was like a long time ago." I joked back, "No, it was like yesterday. I totally remember you asking and it seeeeemed like yesterday."

I got a solid N-O on cheer. But I have a hopeful place in my heart that hip hop and jazz may see her in their future somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment