template design

9.07.2015

Happy Labor Day 2015

We attend Brook's work union Labor Day BBQ each year. There's several workers unions tents set up, catered barbecues smoking, bouncy houses, snow cones, cotton candy, one of the largest car shows I've ever seen and a row of delicious food trucks to feed the non-union folks and neighbors who wander into the extra-large Copper Park in Magna.

Maiya batted her eyelashes at me in an effort to get me to buy raffle tickets for the near 30 bikes they were to raffle off. Ethan was sure his single ticket would win the 60" grand prize drawing, so each got mom suckered in for extra tickets. All the proceeds go to charity, so I guess it's a win-win. Except, we didn't win. BUT, Damon did! That cute little guy won his tricycle and boy was he happy!

Funny thing...my brilliant son was still carrying around both sides of the ticket, "I wasn't sure what to do with it!". Ah! I love that smile on that kid!

The car show was seriously amazing! We only made the rounds to the outside ring of cars...there was still 3/4 of the cars to see. It's amazing to think of all the things these cars have seen over the years. One car had a history printed up about it: made in USA, shipped to Brazil, shipped to South Africa, shipped back to USA, trucked to Utah. There was this silverish/blue Corvette convertible that I could totally see Ethan driving. Kiana and Ammie were vying for the white and black GT Mustang muscle cars respectively, and Maiya liked these old, rusty motorcycles that were about her size. Super cute!

Back at home Maiya and I made salt-dough, thanks to Auntie Beth's recipe! Maiya and her friends played "Bakery" all afternoon. They had a plate of real-life looking peanut-butter cookies before smooshing the yellow dough up again and making french fries. With aprons, pads of papers for orders from their pretend customers - and real ma/pa customers - they were having a ball!

Kiana had soccer practice tonight in preparation for Wednesday's game. She's playing holding mid and made a sweet shot from near 1/2 field. You go girl! She and Ammie were helping a worker clean up and he told them they could take as much leftover soda pop as they wanted...and since I don't buy pop they sure did! They loaded up a plastic bag and already have them ready to stock up in their school lockers. Resourceful.

Ethan is scored high on the brother-scale today. At the bbq, Maiya had this mad/sad face because she didn't win a prize. When I asked what was wrong, she said she was just tired. Ethan piped up,"Is it because you aren't getting enough kisses? Do I need to come over there and give you some?" I found him curled up on the living room ottoman taking a nap, with his red dictionary nearby. Great kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment