template design

2.09.2016

National Honor Society

There's been so many times Ethan has come home with thick embossed certificates, tossed them casually onto the kitchen counter and nonchalantly said,"Oh yeah, the school gave me these." Every quarter ending. Certificates for his grades, citizenship, etc. I know his middle school had a society, but I also know Ethan doesn't tell his mom some things for fear I'll sign him up for it. Since we don't pay for grades he knows his payment will come in the form of a trip to Krispy Kremes and free donuts for A's.

Tonight, he was inducted into Itineris 1st ever National Honor Society. Although the school has been open for 11 years, they've never had one. I didn't even have to ask him to dress in his suit. He was pretty excited and quickly went to join his friends when we arrived. I felt surrounded by awesome smartness in that auditorium.

I'm so grateful for a son who has cherished learning all through school, manages his own education and finds joy in high standards and achievement. I'm not grateful for him getting older and the side jokes that he will eventually leave me, but my joy is in watching that sparkle in his eye and infectious smile as he says those jokes and seeing him blossom into such a positive force for good in the world.

My heart is full.
That's my Ethan.

No comments:

Post a Comment