template design

3.06.2016

When I'm Gone

I feel like I lost a forever friend today, except I've never met her. I can't stop crying.

I came upon Rory & Joey Feek's tender story and music when I was checking out Overstock.com for some bedding options for Ethan a few weeks ago. There was an ad promoting their upcoming album - it was country and they were super cute - so of course I thought to check it and their blog out at This Life I Live.


I cried for half the day.
She sings this...who could listen to this and NOT cry?


I was hooked. It touched my heart & made me think. Their small town, big dreams, beautiful hearts in and out, faith in God, focus on l.i.f.e.. All of it. Their music is raw; the melodies ring of everyday life with humor and tenderness. I was in WalMart the other day and my ears turned up when "It's Important To Me" played. Loved it! Their love story; it's genuine, not cheesy, which makes it so endearing and a hope that my children will both be and find someone worthy of that kind of selfless relationship. What has amazed me so much is her selfless focus in life: love and God. Really. She filled her life magnifying her talents (ie gardening, singing, cooking, connecting with friends at their family cafe, etc.) while living in a small town and not worrying about what material possessions were around her. It made me reflect: where is my focus? Would my countenance shine to others that don't know me? Does my example reflect who I am? Do I spent my time on things important to me?

Since crying that first day I've watched online her and her husband go through her last days of cancer in the most loving ways. In one week it was to be nominated for an award, celebrate her baby's birthday, and celebrate a last Valentine's Day - all with the love and grace of a pure heart. What an example. It really puts What Matters Most into perspective. She left this world a much better place for who she was.

She sang some amazing songs with her remarkably beautiful voice. The lyrics touched me on this song that never made it #1 on the radio or even hit the radio at all, and her husband included it in his heartfelt post...where she says her last goodbyes to her loved ones and kisses her sweet baby for the last time -- One Last Kiss

In the time that you gave me
Did I give all I could give?
Did I love all I could love?
Did I live all I could live?

Was my faith in your grace strong enough to save me?
Did I do all I could do,
in the time that you gave me

In the time that you gave me
Did I face the devil down
Did I make him turn away
every time I stood my ground
If today is the day you should decide to take me
Did I do all I could do 
in the time that you gave me

Oh, and I'll never know 'til it's over
But I want to fly on your shoulders
I might have strayed from the path

I might have gone a little crazy
I'd like to think I did you proud
In the time that you gave me

And as the hourglass empties
It won't even phase me
If I did all I could do
In the time that you gave me

No comments:

Post a Comment