One night in Oregon when we were seated for dinner, the conversation turned to my upcoming birthday. Mom asked if I was going to turn 40 or 41 this year...I answered, "41."
Kiana didn't even blink, but pursed her lips and held a forkful of food in front of her, raised her eyebrows, "Well THAT stinks!"
Man, I love her!
JOY #1: People in my life who make me feel special and influence me to be better.
JOY #2: Cheesecake. And fruit. Yum!
JOY #1: People in my life who make me feel special and influence me to be better.
JOY #2: Cheesecake. And fruit. Yum!
Today:
Turning *ahem* one age older...I wanted to DO something. I haven't wanted things. So, I took the kids to Seven Peaks Waterpark in Provo. It's not the latest and greatest waterpark, but my excursion had to fit between Ethan's Chem class where he didn't get home until 11:00 and Kiana's 5:00 soccer practice that she really couldn't miss because of 2 games in her tournament tomorrow. Kids!!!
Ethan and Kiana hit the big ride, Boomerang, first. It's a straight shot down and slides you back and forth. No way, hosea for me! Maiya and I were in the adjacent line for another slide, and we saw Kiana's huge smile when she slid swoooosh down to the bottom. I asked Kiana if it was scary, "Well, if you don't like falling fast or heights, then yeah." She later said she'd never go on that again and doesn't like amusement parks. Well, she always has a knack for going on the scariest ride first...and she still remembers throwing up at Lagoon.
I LOVED spending time with my kids!
JOY #3: It warmed my heart to see Ethan say,"Sure!" when Maiya asked if he'd double-up with her on the Boomerang ride. He didn't even hesitate. She and Ethan were new partners for the day and Kiana and I hung out the rest of the time. I love seeing their hearts and interactions with each other.
JOY #4: When we stopped for lunch, eating from our cooler, I had one of "those moments" thinking how blessed I was to be here, with them, at that moment. Knowing that at one point in my life I made a decision to leave a career to spend more time with them...I was reaffirmed today that my role as their Mother is the best 'job' I can be doing right now.
JOY #5: Ha! I love knowing that I got a good deal on year long passes, tube rentals for a year ($10 yr/each), and that my kids don't mind walking across the parking lot because I hate paying for parking. And because others are doing it too! Good deals...my favorite.
JOY #6: I LOVE life's moments to show my kids that prayers are answered. I typically include in my prayers that we'll be in tune to the needs of others and have courage to follow through on those situations. This was so perfect! When Kiana and I were chillin' on our towels after a ride, I noticed a Samoan mom with several children enter and set up a spot about 15 feet in front of us. Something told me they weren't getting tubes (which were an additional fee). That tugging stayed with me. As we finished up for the day, I had each girl take a tube and suggested we find someone who maybe didn't have one so they could enjoy the rides. The girls, obviously, were a bit hesitant and thought we'd get into trouble if we didn't return them. Well, I'd paid for them and had temporary passes, and the card-takers weren't taking anyone's cards...so. there. I'd been looking for that cute family but thought they'd moved since I hadn't seen them for some time. The stars aligned. As we walked, the eldest daughter showed up. The moment had come!
Me: Do you guys have tubes to use?
Her: No, they are too expensive.
Me: Well, we are done with ours. Would you like to use them?
Her: Oh, no. They cost a lot of money.
Me: We are leaving. They didn't take our cards and we wanted to find someone who could use them or hadn't paid for them. Would you guys be able to use these?
(Her face lit up with a mix of joy and confusion, like she wasn't sure I was serious.)
Her: Sure!
Maiya laid her single down. I put mine on top of hers. Kiana was crossing in front of me with the double seater.
Her: This one too?!
Me: If you guys want it. Otherwise we're just taking it back...but you have to promise to take them back (I joked!)
Her: Oh no. We'll take it. We have...a lot...of kids.
Me: I know. I saw you guys walk in.
We both laughed.
By this time two of her younger brothers that looked to be about Maiya's size ran up, "Are these for us? Can we use these?"
Those kids were gone in a heartbeat!
THAT was my JOY #7!
I want my kids to recognize the amazing feeling of how simple things can bring joy to others, and not hold back if something prods you to act. I asked Maiya if she could think about coming to the park and not being able to ride on any of the rides because she didn't have a tube. "I get it," was her stoic reply. I hope she does. The kids realized it was simple. I had to reassure them I/we weren't going to get into trouble...even though Ethan was insistent we had to return them and a bit skeptical,"Mom, you're going against the rules." I like to think I was being more helpful than dishonest...technically, I was letting them borrow tubes we paid for and return them after borrowing them from us. The End.
The kids think I'm weird because I talk to strangers. Oh well.
Turning *ahem* one age older...I wanted to DO something. I haven't wanted things. So, I took the kids to Seven Peaks Waterpark in Provo. It's not the latest and greatest waterpark, but my excursion had to fit between Ethan's Chem class where he didn't get home until 11:00 and Kiana's 5:00 soccer practice that she really couldn't miss because of 2 games in her tournament tomorrow. Kids!!!
Ethan and Kiana hit the big ride, Boomerang, first. It's a straight shot down and slides you back and forth. No way, hosea for me! Maiya and I were in the adjacent line for another slide, and we saw Kiana's huge smile when she slid swoooosh down to the bottom. I asked Kiana if it was scary, "Well, if you don't like falling fast or heights, then yeah." She later said she'd never go on that again and doesn't like amusement parks. Well, she always has a knack for going on the scariest ride first...and she still remembers throwing up at Lagoon.
I LOVED spending time with my kids!
JOY #3: It warmed my heart to see Ethan say,"Sure!" when Maiya asked if he'd double-up with her on the Boomerang ride. He didn't even hesitate. She and Ethan were new partners for the day and Kiana and I hung out the rest of the time. I love seeing their hearts and interactions with each other.
JOY #4: When we stopped for lunch, eating from our cooler, I had one of "those moments" thinking how blessed I was to be here, with them, at that moment. Knowing that at one point in my life I made a decision to leave a career to spend more time with them...I was reaffirmed today that my role as their Mother is the best 'job' I can be doing right now.
JOY #6: I LOVE life's moments to show my kids that prayers are answered. I typically include in my prayers that we'll be in tune to the needs of others and have courage to follow through on those situations. This was so perfect! When Kiana and I were chillin' on our towels after a ride, I noticed a Samoan mom with several children enter and set up a spot about 15 feet in front of us. Something told me they weren't getting tubes (which were an additional fee). That tugging stayed with me. As we finished up for the day, I had each girl take a tube and suggested we find someone who maybe didn't have one so they could enjoy the rides. The girls, obviously, were a bit hesitant and thought we'd get into trouble if we didn't return them. Well, I'd paid for them and had temporary passes, and the card-takers weren't taking anyone's cards...so. there. I'd been looking for that cute family but thought they'd moved since I hadn't seen them for some time. The stars aligned. As we walked, the eldest daughter showed up. The moment had come!
Me: Do you guys have tubes to use?
Her: No, they are too expensive.
Me: Well, we are done with ours. Would you like to use them?
Her: Oh, no. They cost a lot of money.
Me: We are leaving. They didn't take our cards and we wanted to find someone who could use them or hadn't paid for them. Would you guys be able to use these?
(Her face lit up with a mix of joy and confusion, like she wasn't sure I was serious.)
Her: Sure!
Maiya laid her single down. I put mine on top of hers. Kiana was crossing in front of me with the double seater.
Her: This one too?!
Me: If you guys want it. Otherwise we're just taking it back...but you have to promise to take them back (I joked!)
Her: Oh no. We'll take it. We have...a lot...of kids.
Me: I know. I saw you guys walk in.
We both laughed.
By this time two of her younger brothers that looked to be about Maiya's size ran up, "Are these for us? Can we use these?"
Those kids were gone in a heartbeat!
THAT was my JOY #7!
I want my kids to recognize the amazing feeling of how simple things can bring joy to others, and not hold back if something prods you to act. I asked Maiya if she could think about coming to the park and not being able to ride on any of the rides because she didn't have a tube. "I get it," was her stoic reply. I hope she does. The kids realized it was simple. I had to reassure them I/we weren't going to get into trouble...even though Ethan was insistent we had to return them and a bit skeptical,"Mom, you're going against the rules." I like to think I was being more helpful than dishonest...technically, I was letting them borrow tubes we paid for and return them after borrowing them from us. The End.
The kids think I'm weird because I talk to strangers. Oh well.
My life has been blessed abundantly with family and dear friends!
I got lots of text love from family and dear friends far and near.
I got phone calls and birthday songs sung by my nephews and nieces far and near.
Even my sweet Aunt Bonita and Uncle Chris called and did an AMAZING harmonizing rendition - complete with their family's signature "Quack" inserted here and there. Usually their Happy Birthday songs make the little kids cry they are so out of tune and crazy, funny scary it's hilarious!
JOY #9:
Stuart had been asking me all week what I wanted for my birthday. Each time, my answer was the same: I want all the projects around the house d.o.n.e. He asked me again tonight, my answer was the same. He dug out a large tree trunk I've wanted out of the back yard for over 2 years, that I keep hacking away the growth from...THAT rocked!
JOY #10:
Kiana had started the dishwasher and totally cleaned up the kitchen this morning. I really appreciate her helpfulness. I'd upgraded to a size large mango-pineapple shake so I could 'share' with her...she kinda drank the whole thing and held it out to me with about 3 sips left,"You want the rest?" and a ginormous smile on her face. I love her humor!
JOY #11:
Best friends.
This package was hiding behind an eave on my front porch. Thank you Mr. Delivery Man! My sweet BFF from high school days never ceases to send an amazing gift from Nordstroms. These comfy tees are dreamy! I wish everyone had a BFF like my Ang, but I'm lucky to have her!
Stuart had been asking me all week what I wanted for my birthday. Each time, my answer was the same: I want all the projects around the house d.o.n.e. He asked me again tonight, my answer was the same. He dug out a large tree trunk I've wanted out of the back yard for over 2 years, that I keep hacking away the growth from...THAT rocked!
JOY #10:
Kiana had started the dishwasher and totally cleaned up the kitchen this morning. I really appreciate her helpfulness. I'd upgraded to a size large mango-pineapple shake so I could 'share' with her...she kinda drank the whole thing and held it out to me with about 3 sips left,"You want the rest?" and a ginormous smile on her face. I love her humor!
JOY #11:
Best friends.
This package was hiding behind an eave on my front porch. Thank you Mr. Delivery Man! My sweet BFF from high school days never ceases to send an amazing gift from Nordstroms. These comfy tees are dreamy! I wish everyone had a BFF like my Ang, but I'm lucky to have her!






No comments:
Post a Comment